SpywareBlaster is a program which enables prevention of the installation of many so-called spyware, adware and malware programs by disabling the CLSIDs of popular spyware ActiveX controls. The user is then allowed to run Internet Explorer where Active-X is enabled, although none of the known ActiveX controls are downloaded or prompted. Information on these known spyware Active-X controls are contained by SpywareBlaster database, thereby enabling them to get updated at the click of a button. Customized ActiveX blocks can be created, together with blocking of Flash content, creation of encrypted backups of the Hosts file, management of browser page settings, blocking of cookies, etc. It therefore provides a multi-angle protection by preventing the installation of ActiveX-based spyware and other potentially unwanted programs, blocking unnecessary tracking via cookies and restriction of potentially unwanted action and harmful websites.
SpywareBlaster Key Highlights:
- Does not interfere with the god aspects of internet, thus keeping your system safe and secure
- A customized blacklist can be created across multiple browsers, avoiding Firefox and Netscape-specific protection where only cookie blocking is offered
- A system snapshot for PC recovery can be created by users in case of an overwhelming attack
- Well-designed interface which is properly organized and easy to navigate
- Automatic definition file updates and tech support may be provided at the cost of $10
- The CLSID of recognized malware programs are blacklisted, thereby avoiding them from infecting a well secured PC
- Web browsers such as Internet Explorer, Netscape, Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla SeaMonkey, and Flock are supported
- Operating systems – Windows 7, Windows Me, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows NT
- File size – 3.1MB
- Dearth in spyware removal capabilities and lack of support for Opera
- When compared with other security products, SpywareBlaster does not to complete justice in prevention of attacks and removal of infections.